What is Ransomware?
In very simple terms it is an email that looks official but if you click on the attachment you are loading a program that can lock important files. To get the files back a ransom is demanded. By the way do not pay until you have spoken to us or someone with ransomware experience. Ransomware can also be downloaded to your machine when you visit a shady website. The malware is downloaded and installed without the user’s knowledge. So be careful which websites you visit.
Why is Ransomware so effective?
Nefarious people that write ransomware instill fear and panic into their victims. Ransomware displays intimidating messages similar to the following:
– “Your computer has been infected with a virus. Click here to resolve the issue.”
– “Your computer was used to visit websites with illegal content. To unlock your computer, you must pay a $100 fine.”
– “All files on your computer have been encrypted. You must pay this ransom within 72 hours to regain access to your data.”
Ransomware goes by many names in todays world. CryptoLocker, CryptorBit and Locky are just some of the names it goes by. Systems infected with ransomware are also often infected with other malware. Ransomware not only preys on home users, but businesses can often by a target for ransomware.
Solution for Ransomware
Ransomware can be devestating to a business and has become a nuisance for everyone. Here are some of the best things to do for blocking the bad guys from your data:
– Make sure and implement a backup plan for critical data. If you need to do a backup every hour then do so. Most people need at a minimum a weekly backup and recovery plan.
– Use application whitelisting to help block the programs that can run malicious software packages.
– Keep your operating systems and major applications patched on a regular basis.
– Yes continue to run a current version of anti-virus software.
Good Luck in avoiding this pernicious threat – As they say “May the force be with you!”
Since its incorporation in 1991, Proactive Network Management Corporation has provided network consulting and state-of-the-art managed network services to the commercial and public sector. Our staff of business solution professionals at PNMC has experience in the development and implementation of systems for Fortune 500 companies and State/Local government organizations.
124 South 400 East, Ste. 200
Salt Lake City, UT 84111